Postdoc Researcher in Machine Learning
Brookhaven National Laboratory
DescriptionThe Machine Learning Group at Brookhaven Lab’s Computational Science Initiative (CSI) invites exceptional candidates to apply for a post-doctoral research associate position in machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP). This position offers a distinct opportunity to conduct research in emerging interdisciplinary research problems at the intersection of data science, ML, and NLP with applications in diverse scientific domains of interest to the Lab and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Topics of specific interest include: (i) novel development and adaptation of existing ML and NLP models for scientific and security applications; (ii) exploitation of large frozen models (e.g., large language models) to support or enhance application-specific tasks, including via development of helper models and integration with external resources; (iii) multi-modal and multi-task large ML models; and (iv) interpretability/explainability and visualization techniques for scientific ML applications.
The position includes access to world-class HPC resources, such as the Brookhaven Institutional Cluster and DOE Leadership Computing Facilities, which allows for computing at scale and will ensure the successful candidate has the necessary resources to solve challenging DOE problems of interest.
This program provides full support for a period of two years at CSI with possible extension. Candidates must have received a doctorate (Ph.D.) in applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, or a related field (e.g., mathematics, engineering, operations research, physics) within the past five years. This post-doc position affords a unique chance to conduct interdisciplinary collaborative research as part of Brookhaven Lab programs with a highly competitive salary.
• Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, or a related field (e.g., operations research, physics, mathematics, engineering) awarded within the last five years
• Programming experience in machine learning, scientific modeling, or scientific computing
• Practical experience in implementing machine learning algorithms on machine learning platforms (PyTorch, TensorFlow, JAX, DeepSpeed, etc.)
• Communications and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
• Moderate domestic and foreign travel may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct research in various machine learning and natural language processing problems in the context of scientific discovery and workflow acceleration
• Implement and adapt machine learning and natural language processing algorithms for scientific and security applications
• Work in interdisciplinary collaborations with applied domain scientists on various aspects of scientific data generation, collection, curation and processing
• Formulate own high-quality research ideas and directions in collaboration with mentors in the group
• Communicate research progress, challenges and achievements, and engage within and beyond CSI on new potential collaborations.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Practical experience developing novel scientific machine learning or natural language processing algorithms and models
• Experience in scientific machine learning applied to domain sciences problems (e.g., in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering)
• Experience with large language models, prompt engineering, prompt learning (in data and feature space), and multi-modal large machine learning models
• Experience with Explainable/Interpretable Artificial Intelligence and data and model visualization techniques.
Company DescriptionBrookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) is a multidisciplinary laboratory that delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates, a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. Brookhaven Lab's Computational Science Initiative (www.bnl.gov/compsci/) excels at integrating computer science, applied mathematics, data science, quantum and computational science with broad domain expertise. These diverse efforts now support the Lab-wide Human-AI-Facility Integration (HAI-FI) Initiative, connecting humans and machines via artificial intelligence to enable hypothesis-guided autonomous research. HAI-FI engages all aspects of computing, affording real-time human–machine collaborations that work together to achieve the best path toward advanced knowledge and impactful scientific discovery.