Computational Science/Applied Mathematics Postdoctoral Scholar
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Berkeley, CA 94720
DescriptionLawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Applied Mathematics and Computational Research Division (https://crd.lbl.gov/divisions/amcr/) has an opening for a Computational Science/Applied Mathematics Postdoctoral Scholar with a strong background in applied mathematics and computational science to work on developing new methodologies and algorithms to advance Gaussian-Process-driven uncertainty quantification, with the end goal of improving procedures for autonomous data acquisition. All algorithmic developments will be applied to data coming from one or more instruments and other data sources within the network of DOE’s experimental facilities.
RequirementsWhat is Required:
• PhD in applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, or a related field.
• Experience and a strong interest in scientific software development or research software engineering.
• Experience using and developing in Python.
• Experience with high-performance computing (HPC) ideally in Python.
• Demonstrated record of scientific excellence through publications, talks, or software deliverables.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
• Experience contributing to a scientific software project in a team environment, which might include co-developing an internal project or contributing to community-based open-source software.
• Experience with uncertainty quantification, ideally Gaussian or general stochastic processes.
• A working understanding of kernel methods and Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Spaces.
• Background in differential geometry.
• Demonstrated record in collaborative software development, especially in distributed teams.
• Experience with the DASK library.
• Interest in experiencing large-scale experiments.
Company DescriptionBerkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.